Among all the variations of roulette in both land-based and online casinos, European roulette best fits the preferences of the majority of players. The reason for its huge popularity is that it provides a player with a greater chance to earn, as the house advantage here is merely 2.63%.
As we already noted, the European roulette wheel has 37 divisions, where numbers from 1 to 36 and 0 can be found. Numbers from 1 to 36 are alternately colored in red and black, while the single zero is marked in green. The main objective, which any player pursuits, is to predict, which numbered pocket the roulette ball is going to settle into. In order to do that, all players make bets on a particular number, after which the dealer turns the roulette wheel in one direction and spins the roulette ball in the opposite. Once the ball finds its way into the pocket with that particular number, the respective players get paid.
Basic rules of the game
When playing European roulette one will find out the betting process is relatively easy. The player has to place his/her chips on the desired bet.
At land-based casinos the betting process is as follows. 2 members of the casino personnel usually attend the roulette table. One of them is known as croupier and his main function is to handle the bets and spin the ball into the roulette wheel. The other one casino employee is known as ”inspector” who must make sure the game runs smoothly
The number of participants around the roulette table usually ranges between 1 and 8. The game of roulette is initiated, once the croupier calls out ”Place your bets” (or ”Faites vos jeux”). Players are now allowed to make the type of bets we are about to mention later in the article. Next, the croupier places the ball for a spin onto the roulette wheel. As soon as the ball has about three more revolutions to go, the croupier calls out ”No more bets” (or ”Rien ne va plus”). From this point on, if any bets are placed, they will usually be disregarded. Once the ball drops into one of the 37 numbered pockets, the croupier identifies and announces the winning number. Bets that lost are surrendered to the house, while all winning bets are paid out.
Types of bets that are to be made
The betting layout of the roulette table is comprised by two sections – bets on individual numbers and group bets. In European roulette players are able to take advantage of two main categories of bets – inside and outside bets. The inside bets are made on a single number, adjacent numbers or small groups of numbers, while the outside bets encompass larger groups of numbers. The majority of bets offer different odds of winning and, respectively, different payouts from each other. These payouts and odds of winning are usually not listed on the board, with the exception of the column bet’s payout. Therefore, prior to entering the game, players should become aware of the payouts and odds regarding each bet. Let us go through inside and outside bets in European roulette.
1. Straight-Up Bet – it is placed on any single number, including “0”, and directly on the number. Its payout is 35 to 1.
2. Split Bet – it features two adjacent numbers and is placed on the line between these numbers. The bet may also include 0 and 1, 0 and 2, 0 and 3. Its payout is 17 to 1.
3. Street Bet – it features all three numbers in a row and is placed on the line at the end of the row. There are other options for its placement as well – it can include 0, 1, 2; 0, 2, 3. Its payout is 11 to 1.
4. Corner Bet – it features a group of four numbers and is placed at the corner where these four numbers touch. The bet can also be placed on the corner of 0, 1, 2, and 3. Its payout is 8 to 1.
5. Line Bet – it features six numbers (or two rows of three numbers) and is placed at the end of two rows, on the border between them. Its payout is 5 to 1.
1. Column Bet – it features an entire column and is placed on the ”2-1” box at the end of a column. Its payout is 2 to 1.
2. Dozen Bet – it features a group of 12 numbers and can be placed on the ”1st 12” box (1 to 12), the ”2nd 12” box (13 to 24), or the ”3rd 12” box (25 to 36). Its payout is 2 to 1.
3. Bet on Color – it features all of the red numbers or all of the black numbers on the layout and is placed on the ”Red” box (all red numbers) or the ”Black” box (all black numbers). Its payout is 1 to 1.
4. Bet on Odd/Even – it features all even numbers or all odd numbers on the layout and is placed on the ”Even” box (all even numbers) or the ”Odd” box (all odd numbers). Its payout is 1 to 1.
5. Bet on Low/High – it features all low numbers or all high numbers and is placed on the ”Low” box (numbers 1 to 18) or the ”High” box (numbers 19 to 36). Its payout is 1 to 1.
In case a player places an even money outside bet (Red/Black, Even/Odd, Low/High) and the winning number is 0, he/she is able to take advantage of the ”en prison” rule. As we explained earlier, now the player will either receive 50% of his/her bet, or the entire bet will be imprisoned. If the imprisoned bet turns out to be a winner on the next wheel spin, it will be released and the player will recover it without any earnings.